Friday, February 18, 2011

Twice times

I'm reading a book to Nidhi and notice that she is playing with her fingers instead of following the story. I'm just about to show my irritation when she says "Four twos are nine". I look at her a little doubtfully and shake my head "Unh..unh". She looks at her fingers again and says"It's eight. Four twos are eight"

I'm amazed but say nothing. She did this a few weeks back when I was putting her to bed and she was playing with her fingers and said "Three twos is six". At that time I din't pay much attention as I thought it was purely guesswork or chance.

I don't know why she's even thinking on these lines (ie times tables). We have never touched the subject as far as I can remember.

I had a general chat with Liz, her key worker at pre-school earlier today. I did not talk about any of Nidhi's numeracy skills but Liz mentioned that numbers seems to be Nidhi's strength/talent. She plans to work further with Nidhi on numbers in the next half term. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

3 comments:

punchiri said...

That's really nice to hear!Haniel is young, but he seems to be catching lyrics of songs pretty fast...Dunno, if that's just another milestone of a toddler...

Me & Ro said...

I saw a video on your blog, of him dancing to some music, he sure seems to be musically inclined:-) May be that's why he's catching onto the lyrics fast.

Preeti Gulati said...

Nidhi's really sharp. It's amazing how she's just not learning numbers passively, but applying them. Wow!