Friday, November 11, 2011

She cares for me

Today I was sitting in the armchair and Nidhi was on my lap. I wanted a glass of water but was feeling too tired to get up, as I had only just sat down. I sighed and said "Ah, Tochuten, when will you be old enough to get me a glass of water?!".
"I can get it now," she said, "if there is a glass not too high that I can reach."
She jumped down from my lap and ran to the kitchen.
"Yes, I can see one." she says, "It's near the sink".
She'll need a small chair to reach it though, so she comes to get it from the usual place near her desk. I am resting my feet on the chair, so I lift them up.
She hesitates and then looks around for the other chair (they are a pair). When she spots it she says "You can use this one, I'll take my timeout chair". The other chair had been moved to the corner of the room for her timeout not very long ago.
She carries it into the kitchen, gets the glass, fills it with water from the tap, and brings it carefully back to me.
I say, "Thank you Tochuten!"
She says "See I am old enough to do it for you now!"
And then she gets me another glass of water.


Last month Nidhi used to go cycling nearly every day after school. The town we live in is very hilly, so the roads are all slopes. Nidhi usually needs help when riding uphill. One day she rode to the park. I didn't play much with her as I was feeling tired and told her that. When we were riding back, she stopped when we reached the usual place that I help her ride uphill. She got off the bike and said "I am not going to make you push the bike because you are tired. I will walk with it uphill." And then she proceeded to do just that.

No comments: