Monday, November 13, 2006

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

Yes, that's poor me! With my penchant for ignoring hubby-dearest's well meaning advice, this was an accident waiting to happen.

I always use one of our metal dining chairs to climb on, to get to all the beyond-reach places. Ro has told me several times that he dint think the chair was suited to carry one's entire weight standing up. Ho hum! My logic was - if it could take my weight sitting down it could do it standing up. And besides its metal after all! Aren't those things supposed to be sturdier than plastic? So it happened that when I needed something to stand on to reach above the wardrobe in yet another sorting exercise I went for the dining chair again.

To cut a long story short, Humpty was up there reaching to spread a cover over the top when suddenly the seat of the chair gave way - just like that, without warning! And down came Humpty with chair and cover and all.

Now normally a small accident like this wouldn't worry me much, it would actually amuse me. (Do you see the humour in silly accidents like this?) But now, being responsible for bubs' safety and not just mine is so much more frightening.

Hubby dearest heard the sound of the fall and rushed from the living room. I was trembling after the incident and was glad it happened when he was around.

It's funny how accidents happen in a matter of seconds, but in retrospect one tends to remember them like a slow-motion shot from a film. I remember now, falling face down towards the floor and just thinking one thought - "Am I gonna bump my tummy?" And lying there on my fours waiting for Rohan to pick me up just one thought again - "I dint bump my tummy. I dint break anything."

To count my blessings:
1. I happened to turn towards the right when I fell which means I had clear ground in front of me. If I had fallen in any other direction - to the front was the wardrobe, to the right was the wall & window and behind me was the bed!
2. The carpetted floor cushioned the fall of the chair and mine so that it seemed like a slow and gentle fall rather than a crashing one.
3. I landed on my fours, knees first - which werent hurt beyond minor bruises because of the carpet again.
4. I dint hit my tummy on my way down. Praise God!

To count our losses:
1. We are left with just one dining chair for the 2-seater table which means Ro and I cant eat together at the table any more until we replace the chair :(
2. Since we sat at these same chairs while using the laptop together that also is an activity which will be restricted from now on.
3. Not to mention the cost of replacing the chair altogether!!

Ro has been very understanding throughout. Not getting upset with me for ignoring his advice. Not getting upset for the damage and the resultant charges. In fact, even feeling a little guilty at letting me take up this work.

To conclude however it has been reassuring to feel bubs move around after the accident. I no longer mind the sleepless nights due to her constant kicking!!

No comments: